Monday, April 11, 2011

Etsy Shop: Paper Pearls Jewelry





What will I find in your shop?I design and create one of a kind jewelry out of upcycled cardboard. The cardboard comes from state testing booklets in public schools (I’m a teacher) and when I realized that it was being thrown away, I scooped it all up and knew a “use” for it would come to me! 

Although cardboard is such a raw and initially “ugly” material, I like to think that I transform it into something lovely. I paint, stamp, buff, and glaze to turn dull cardboard into shiny, jewel-toned earrings and necklaces. I also love that I am using a material that would have been otherwise sent to the garbage. The stamps I choose are typically detailed, life-like, vintage-inspired images – owls, rabbits, bicycles, and other images that have a classic look.


How did you come about opening your shop?I started making jewelry because I could no longer find in stores what I wanted to buy – I was always on the hunt for big, bold, brightly colored earrings with unique images on them. I began to realize that if I wanted these earrings on my lobes, I was going to have to make them myself. After I made a few pairs for my own personal use, I started to get stopped out in public – I got so much positive feedback and questions about where to buy them that I decided to start an Etsy shop. So far, it’s been a wonderful experience, and I love being a part of the Etsy.com community!


What is your favorite item in your shop?My favorite item at this moment would have to be my Coral Owl earrings – I’m a huge fan of that color right now, and the owl is one of my all-time-favorite stamps. That, and anything with the tandem bicycle on it … I really love that bike …

What is your favorite Etsy shop?So many fabulous artists out there! I don’t think I can choose an all time fave, but I can tell you what store I’ve been pining over most recently – that would have to be LucieEllen (www.etsy.com/shop/lucie0ellen) and her fantastic array of wooden jewelry. I want all of it!

2 comments:

  1. I totally love your ideas. Your designs are so unique. I'm going to have to check out LucieEllen as well.

    ReplyDelete